Support Kylemore Abbey
Make a Donation
Support the New Benedictine Monastery at Kylemore Abbey
The Benedictine nuns of Kylemore have embarked on the most important project in their history: – a new Monastery purpose-built for a growing monastic community at Kylemore – a Guest House and Spiritual Education Centre for visitors to share the sacred space of their lives through short courses and retreats.
Monastery construction started in September 2019 and was due for completion in December 2020 to mark the centenary of the Benedictine nuns at Kylemore. Covid-19 has delayed the project, but Kylemore Trust remains committed to delivery of this historic project: first monastery in Ireland built for a community of Benedictine women in over 400 years.
There are 3 ways to make a gift to Kylemore
Make a Gift Online
Leave a Legacy
Kylemore Abbey Legacy Programme – Consider Remembering Us in Your Will
The decisions you make about your Will or Estate are very important and deeply personal. Please take time to discuss your wishes with your family and loved ones, and to consult with your solicitor. If you are considering including Kylemore in your Will there are a number of ways in which your gift can help to make a lasting difference to others and continue the work of the Benedictine nuns of Kylemore Abbey.
Reasons to give to Kylemore Abbey
Kylemore Abbey is a very special place – offering visitors of all faiths and none a profound sense of peace where many find time to nurture their faith and spirituality in the natural beauty and spiritual solace of this place.
If you would like to discuss your plans, please contact Liz McConnell, Head of Development at firstname.lastname@example.org
Your legacy will help to:
• Provide a new Monastery building for the growing Benedictine monastic community at Kylemore Abbey’s
• Enable visitors and pilgrims to nurture their spiritual faith through retreats at the new Monastery’s Guest House and Retreat Centre
• Enhance Kylemore as a special place of spiritual peace, beauty, and heritage.
Types of Gifts
There are two main types of legacy gifts to consider, including:
- Pecuniary or Monetary Gift (a fixed sum)
- A Residuary Gift – This is a gift which is made after your estate responsibilities are complete. You can choose to leave a total of the residuary or a percentage
I have not yet made a Will but would like to include The Kylemore Trust
If you would like to leave a legacy by including The Kylemore Trust (operating as Kylemore Abbey) in your Will, you can contact your solicitor to advise of your wishes. The Kylemore Trust is a proud member of ‘My Legacy’ which provides useful information for those considering a charitable bequest www.mylegacy.ie .
Precedent clause for a Will.
I GIVE the sum of €/$/£ xx (sum in words) to The Kylemore Trust [Registered Charity No. 20071394 | CHY 185550] of Kylemore Abbey, Connemara, Co. Galway H91 VR90, Ireland for the general purposes of the said charity and I direct that a receipt by the treasurer or other proper officer of the said charity shall be sufficient discharge for my executors in the payment of this legacy.
If, at the date of my death, the said charity has ceased to exist or has amalgamated or become incorporated with another charity or has changed its name, then this legacy shall not fail, but my executors shall pay the legacy to such charity as they consider most nearly fulfils the objects of that which I intended to benefit.
- Kylemore Trust is a registered Irish charity, led by the Benedictine Nuns of Kylemore Abbey. Its charitable purpose is to support the Benedictine monastic way of life and to preserve the heritage and natural beauty of the Kylemore Abbey and estate. CRN 20071394 CHY 185550
Tax Efficient Giving
Philanthropic gifts to Kylemore are tax relievable. Tax relief related to charitable giving varies by country. This website provides some general guidance on tax relief. All donors are encouraged to seek professional financial advice specific to their circumstances.
The Kylemore Trust (operating as Kylemore Abbey) is a registered charity, Registered Charity No. 20071394 and CHY (Revenue) No.18550.
Kylemore Abbey’s New Monastery
This historic new monastery will be a haven for visitors and a home for the faith community of Kylemore. The design is sensitively integrated into Kylemore’s unique environment and underpinned by important Benedictine tenets of stewardship of creation and hospitality
- Places for contemplative solitude and prayer for nuns and visitors
- Guest house and Spiritual Education Centre
- Novitiate and residential space for the nuns
- Centred on the Monastic Chapel
- Chapter room – a formal meeting room for the Benedictine community
- Library and Archive space
- Kitchen and Dining areas
- Visitors’ Area, welcoming guests and those interested in the spiritual life of Kylemore.
Conservation of Kylemore Abbey
Since 1920 the Benedictine community of Kylemore Abbey have been committed stewards and conservators of the built heritage of Kylemore estate. In recent decades, this has been evident: Kylemore Trust raised funds in the 1990s to support a refurbishment programme for the estate’s Gothic Revival Church and a partial restoration of the Victorian Walled Gardens. These achievements were recognised with Europa Nostra and RIAI awards.
Building on that work, Kylemore Trust is undertaking a strategic review of the conservation requirements of the neo-Gothic Church and Victorian Walled Gardens. Funded by the Heritage Council, the Irish Georgian Society, and Kylemore Trust this Conservation Plan will be a key enabler of future funding and will allow Kylemore Trust to support the delivery of a major conservation programme for Kylemore Abbey, including improvements in access for people with disabilities.